Cigarette Lighter Sparks Explosion
Cigarette Lighter Sparks Explosion during Equipment Check
A loader operator was in the process of performing a circle check on his machine in a poorly lighted garage. To check the coolant level, he removed the radiator cap, and, finding that he had too little light to see the level clearly, he decided to use his cigarette lighter. As soon as he did so, however, there was an explosion that burned his face and eyes.
Recommendations to Prevent a Recurrenc
- No sparks or open flame should be used in or around machinery unless the appropriate (welding) precautions have been taken to prevent fire or explosion. Liquid or vaporized fuel, grease and oi1, or highly explosive hydrogen gas from the battery could be present.
- The proper tools should be used for every job. An electric ‘Trouble light” should be used to inspect machinery in a garage.
- Supervisors should ensure that all personnel are properly trained and qualified for the tasks they are assigned, they should monitor performance and provide further training when it is required.