Pinched fingers, back injuries
Hazard-Specific Personal Protective Equipment
CSA hard hat, CSA Grade I foot protection, reflective vest
Approved drivers training course
Safe Work Practice
Generic- refer to applicable operators manual for proper uncoupling procedure.
All drivers shall wear the proper PPE while at work. A CSA approved hard hat, CSA Grade I footwear and a reflective vest shall be worn whenever the driver leaves the cab of his vehicle.
The following procedure shall be used when uncoupling Tractor Semi-Trailers.
- Position Rig.
- Ease pressure on locking jaws.
- Lower the support legs until firm contact is made.
- Disconnect air lines and electrical cable.
- Unlock fifth wheel.
- Pull tractor partially clear of trailer.
- Release trailer park brake.
- Secure tractor.
- Inspect trailer support.
- Pull tractor clear of trailer.
Regulations, Standards and References
Occupational Safety General Regulations