Fire, explosion, toxicity, chemical burns
Hazard-Specific Personal Protective Equipment
Fire shield, safety glasses or goggles, chemically resistant gloves and clothing, and respiratory protection as identified on MSDS
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
Safe Work Practice
- A First Aid Kit and Eye Wash must be on site.
- If the solvent is flammable, a fire extinguisher must be present.
- All employees using the solvent, or in the vicinity of the solvent, must be trained in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), including specific workplace training for that solvent.
- Before using the solvent, read the label and MSDS. Note all hazards identified on the MSDS and observe all precautions as directed by the MSDS.
- Whenever possible, purchase and use a solvent which is less flammable and less toxic.
- When a flammable solvent must be used, make sure that there are no sources of ignition in the area.
- Provide adequate ventilation where the solvent is used. Where necessary, wear approved respiratory protection as indicated by the MSDS.
- Where necessary, wear eye protection, gloves, aprons or clothing as indicated by the MSDS.
- Use proper containers for transportation, field use and storage.
- When finished, return solvents to storage or waste containers. Never leave in open tubs or tanks.
- Store flammable and toxic solvents in appropriate containers in designated storage areas.
Regulations, Standards and References
Occupational Safety General Regulations